Monday, November 26, 2012

SURRENDERING 
ALL MY CARES AND BURDENS
FOR A EXTENDED 
THANKSGIVING






I cast all my cares upon you
I lay all of my burdens down at your feet
Anytime I don’t know what to do
I will cast all my cares upon you.

   We live in vision of our local Mall.  It was not even 9pm and the Mall parking lot was full.  With the turkey consumed and pie inhaled people moved from one holiday to another. A community went from THANKSGIVING to GREED in less than a few hours. How sad. How does BLACK FRIDAY happen before it is even Friday?
  My head hit the pillow and I was still FULL OF THANKSGIVING and full from Thanksgiving.  I had managed to survive the day and even felt gratefulness in my heart.
  As Thanksgiving approached, I prepared by CASTING ALL MY CARES UPON HIM. I was aware I would feel moments of loneliness, sadness and loss.  I would be tempted to take on depression and focus on adversity.  Do I feel like SURRENDERING IT?  No, it is a choice.  With broken family relationships and scattered miles I chose to focus on THANKFULNESS instead of the adversities.  I made a choice to not focus on the grey that only darkens the mind. The Sacrifice of Thanksgiving.

I will offer you a sacrifice of thanksgiving
 And call on the name of the Lord
Psalm 116:17

   Then, something so wonderful happened in the morning that anything else was immaterial!
   I took my daughter out for a “Thanksgiving cup of hot spiced caramel cider”. I was looking forward to spending a few minuets with her.  We would not be sharing the traditional dinner together and I know we both were missing family.  We sat talking and sipping.  It was a sweet time.  We shared joy and hurts and hopes.  As I dropped her off to say goodbye she took my hand.  She didn't ask.  It was an unexpected move of the spirit and sacrifice of thanksgiving.  If you were to know this young woman’s life, her pain, her loss, her struggle, you would be amazed, speechless and in admiration.  She took my hand and prayed for me.  SHE PRAYED FOR ME.  She prayed in simplicity for peace, joy and thankfulness.  Then I was able to pray for her.  I was amazed how God gave us both just the right words in such a spontaneous precious moment like this.  HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD.  To bring us to this moment of time when we could call on him and cast our cares on him and give thanks at the same time!  It was a moment I will never forget and always treasure!
   As my head hit the pillow, it wasn't the turkey and pie or the noisy family table card game that filled my mind.  It was those few moments in a cold little car as she took my hand that filled my Thanksgiving heart. 
   It was 8am BLACK FRIDAY, the next morning and my eyes peered out at the same Mall parking lot, fuller than before when the phone rang.  It was my daughter, “Mom, can you come help me I am really sick.  Something is wrong”. 
   We spent the day in doctor office, with tests, blood work, and shots.  No answers and waiting on test as I took her home and tucked her into bed.  At 8pm her eyes filled with tears in pain I made a call to the doctor.  He advised me to take her to the hospital.
    I stood by her in the hospital bed.  I looked down at her slender body and felt numb and helpless.  I questioned in my mind, how does this happen?  How does a sweet young lady become an addict?  What makes her one day decide to put a needle in her arm?  Why?
   I wondered if this could this pain tonight could be part of her detox. Is her body rejecting that she doesn't have the drug in her?  She had just been in a detox unit and has been clean for two weeks.  Unless, has she used again?  Yet, this was nothing like any previous detox. My mind raced.  My mind went back to the prayer in the car.  No, she was clean, clear headed, and sincere in heart and mind.  I was saddened that addiction leads to questioning physical pain and honesty. 
   I kept reinforcing to the doctors and nurses that she could have no addicting pain relievers, she was a recovering addict.  Do you know what it is like for a mother to have to say those words in an emergency room!  To my thankfulness the help we received in that room was full of support, encouragement and praise.  No judgments.
     After many tests, blood work, x-rays and safe pain relievers, she was comfortable enough now to go home and go to sleep.
   BLACK FRIDAY comes to an end as we leave the hospital at midnight.

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your request be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7


   My head hits the pillow once again and still THANKSGIVING in my heart. Thankful she is alive.  Thankful she had wonderful understanding caregivers.  Thankful what was ruled out.  Thankful for hope, peace and a new day tomorrow, Thankful God has a plan.  Thankful He is sovereign.  Thankful my daughter is learning to SURRENDER TO HIM. I am Thankful for her soft heart. I am Thankful she is my daughter. I am Thankful God uses everything in our lives if we INVITE HIM IN. I am Thankful nothing is impossible with HIM.
There is MUCH TO BE THANKFUL FOR! I have seen my God at work.  I have seen Him be true to his promises.  I know what to do with the anxiety about the unknown test results and the unknown tomorrows. I SURRENDER MY CARES! 

 
Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
1Peter 5:7

Cast your burden upon the Lord, and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken.
Psalms 55:22








4 comments:

  1. Thank you, great posting. I decided not to be a part of the grabbing, pushing and shoving. I will be shopping this year but in a calmer atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CYBER MONDAY! Thanks for all your following and encouraging! I trust your Thanksgiving was full of Thanks as well. Blessings to you my friend. My continual prayers are with you! There is a NEW YEAR and a NEW YOU about to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My desk has drops of tears shed over your story, I'm feeling your love and pain for your sweet darling girl. As you know this story is mine many times over. I'd be in the nut house if I didn't have Jesus to depend on and lean into. Give K a big hug from me when you see her again. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so thankful that I have Jesus to lean and depend on too! I would be in the nut house! That is why I share my stories! If one person realizes that they can place their burdens at the feet of Jesus and that HE has huge shoulders to carry our concerns and loved ones! HE IS SOVEREIGN. HE has promised us HIS provision, care, protection and oh so much more! How could we not trust HIM?! HE has something in store!

      Delete