Surrendering my Resistance
for a Spirit of Cooperation
I admit to being a slow learner. If you have been following my blog you know
that daily I make confession of my need to surrender. That is why my blog is titled My
Dangerous Daily Surrender! So
please don’t grow weary in the season of Surrender. Let us take joy that in SURRENDERING ALL the SOVEREIGN GOD is in charge. Just get out of the way!
Each blog of mine may
start with a confession of sin, struggle and lack of strength to
Surrender. Back to the slow learner
part; sometimes I confess and surrender the same thing time and time
again. Do you ever have to do that? I
guess you could call it surrendering what you have surrendered! I am going to call it SURRENDERING MY
RESISTANCE.
That brings me to
today. I continue to share real life stories, become vulnerable, in hopes you
will be touched and helped in the journey process. You may have been walking
with me on this journey the last few weeks and aware of my need to surrender;
my worry, fear, anxiety, pain and sadness regarding family. I am thankful that
GOD is patient with me and doesn’t give up on my surrendering process. I truly do lay it all down at HIS feet. I hand it over and over and over again!
Let me be real and
honest. There is one area in my life I
continue to lay down, pick up again and again. Today God revealed something
very clear to me regarding RESISTANCE TO SURRENDER. It touches the core of my heart. So here is
my intimate description of my CONTROLLING HEART, SELFISH HEART.
Very early in life
I was aware that all I really wanted to do was be a Mother. I had gifts and talents, yet I never dreamed
of any career. I believed my career was
my family. Now there is nothing wrong
with that thought. The problem was my relationship
with my Mother was strained and cruel. So, I vowed to myself I would be the
Mother she never was! Some 27 years later I have worked so hard to be the
perfect mother I failed terribly! I was
controlling my environment (home) and the people (children), so everyone would
be happy and everything would be perfect..
If I did this better than my Mother, they (the children) would love me. I wanted to be worshiped as the great mother,
and I worshiped them! They were my
value, identity and self worth. Sadly, I
now see the big jobs I place on them.
I never understood
as one daughter informed me that I was the most selfish person and that it was always about me. Of course I was hurt and defensive with that
statement. My initial reaction was how
can that be? My entire life was about
being the best mother. How could that
have been selfish? Then it hit me, like
a brick, she was right! It was all about me. Not really about these little precious
lives. It was all about ME being the
perfect mother. ALL THE FOCUS WAS ON ME
DOING IT RIGHT.
As the children
grew and left the nest it only enhanced my loss of value and identity. I had such guilt over the divorce and other
wrong choices I felt if I was “more involved” in their lives it would make up
for any earlier pain and I would be considered THE BEST MOTHER. Once again I have been SELFISH, only thinking
about me. Young lives need to feel like they are independent, finding there own
way and breaking away from family. Even
if the decisions they make are wrong, then they have made them. Then they will learn from them. I had, (ok have) a difficult time letting
them make mistakes and feeling their consequences. I just want to rescue and fix! That is what any “perfect” mother would do. I just want to be this picture of Mother and
Daughter relationship that I never had.
And by gosh we will have it!
DEMAND, CONTROL, SELFISH. After
all they are my identity (sick thinking)!
I am here to tell
you controlling under the best intentions does not work. I did not do it better
than my mother. I now have a broken mess that creates pain. So much pain that I
can do nothing but SURRENDER. I have tried to make amends and even been
controlling in that! I have no options but FAITH, BELIEVING and CONFESSING that
GOD HAS A SOVEREIGN PLAN and HE restores and heals. I have only to be still,
sit, and wait. Don’t you hate when
anyone tells you to wait?! I do believe this is what God asks of me, but I am
IMPATIENT! I want what I want! I want
relationship with my children and grandchildren. In my impatience I RESIST TO SURRENDER!
I pick up all my ugly habits again and AGAIN!
THERE MUST BE SOMETHING I CAN DO TO HELP YOU GOD?!
ALL that to tell
you what GOD revealed to me about SURRENDERING MY CHILDREN. I am no bible scholar and admit to that! I share with you from my meager understanding
and the voice of God in my heart.
Genesis 22: 9-12 NLT
So Abraham placed the wood for the burnt
offering on Isaac’s shoulders, while he himself carried the fire and the
knife. As the two of them walked on
together, Isaac turned to Abraham and said, “Father?”
“Yes my son?”
“We have the fire and
the wood,” the boy said, “but where is the sheep for the burnt offering?”
“God will provide a
sheep for the burnt offering, my son,” Abraham answered. And they both walked on together.
When they arrived at the place where God had
told him to go, Abraham built an altar and arranged the wood on it. Then he tied us son, Isaac, and laid him on
the altar on top of the wood. And
Abraham picked up the knife to kill his son as a sacrifice. At that moment the angel of the Lord called
to him from heaven, “Abraham! Abraham!”
“Yes,” Abraham replied. “Here I am!”
“Don’t lay a hand on the boy!” the angel
said, Do not hurt him in any way, for now I know that you truly fear God. You have not withheld from me even your son,
your only son.”
What does God want from me? The same thing he wanted from Abraham.
Was it a test to
free Abraham from idolatry, (worshiping of his son), a test of his obedience
and devotion to God? Remember I am not a
bible scholar. That is how the scripture
spoke to my heart.
HE WANTS A SPIRIT OF
COOPERATION!
I hand over my loved ones to HIM, into
HIS perfect care. I Surrender my control
AGAIN. When God tells me to do something, I would be wise to have a Spirit of
Cooperation. Let HIM; save, protect,
teach, direct and restore relationships. God has told me to sit, wait and be still.
STOP TRYING TO CONTROL. HE IS IN CHARGE AND SOVEREIGN. That is a promise! When God promises I should believe it! He is not a liar! HE WILL MAKE A WAY .
Genesis 22:13-14
Faith
is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance
about things we cannot see.
Hebrews 11:1 NLT
Yet
I am confident I will see the Lord’s goodness while I am here in the land of
the living. Wait patiently for the
Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the
Lord.
Psalm 27: 13-14
He said in the land of the living!!!!
Prevention Plan for Surrender pick-
up relapse
Daily Worship and His Word.
Filling my mind with His promises, His voice, His direction. Giving thanks for what He is doing, promised
to do and what He has done in the past.
Remembering how He has shown himself trustworthy. Confess my need for Him. Confess my need to surrender Everyday, every
hour, every minuet.
AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment