SURRENDERING
MY EMPTINESS FOR DEPENDENCE
I awake this
morning with such a feeling of BARRENNESS;
inhospitable deserted,
unfruitful, bleakness, emptiness.
I know there are people in the world that are
going through such devastation. As tears
and prayers flow for those of Sandy
Hook Elementary School .
I know you are with me as we think of their grief.
Every where I look
around today I see hurting people. The
homeless on the street corner, the addict in front of the meeting center, the
women and children at the homeless shelter.
There is so much pain in the world.
Christmas takes no holiday from personal struggle, pain and grief.
I feel
guilty as I struggle with my own grief. Personal grief is real. No matter how much tell yourself, “at least
you did not loose a loved one in a horrible day of senseless shooting”; our
personal grief is real and painful to us.
Yes, sometimes we can strengthen our gratitude with the realization that
someone else has it for worse. There are also seasons of FACING YOUR
GRIEF. By facing the emptiness, crying
out in DEPENDENCE, you begin being filled with HIS fullness.
All weekend long I
was surrounded by my husband’s family.
At one count there were 9 family members around the table. I was busy
with food preparations, cleaning up dishes, making coffee, making more coffee.
My husband I have been married a short five years. As I listen to conversations around the table
I begin to feel like an outsider. Most
conversations are in remembrances of times before me. All wonderful people, and
yet I begin to feel alone and empty and soon become inhospitable. Now I am hurt
and embarrassed about my harsh, uncongenial attitude. I was so ugly human in
the middle of my emptiness. I was filled
with anxiety, poor attitude, critical spirit and anger. What I really wanted and longed for was my family!
My family, my
children, are scattered in other locations.
Every year when you hear that holiday song that says, “Next year all our
troubles will be far away”, I think; that is what you sang last year and the
year before. This holiday season, like
so many over the past five years I will not be able to see them. I have lengthy
painful stories that go with the loneliness.
I have a granddaughter that I have never been able to hug, a son-in-law
that I want to get to know, another daughter and new baby I want to scoop up
and protect from a bad relationship.
Life hurts. Christmas hurts. I
know I am not alone.
The world screams GATHER AROUND THE TABLE, FAMILY, and
TOGETHERNESS.
I am reminded today
of once again the one and only reason for the season.
For
God said, “Let there be light in the darkness
has
made his light shine in our hearts
so we could know the glory of God
that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ.
2 Corinthians 4:6
There is no doubt my
gratefulness for the baby that was born!
So when I feel such EMPTINESS, I must reach out for DEPENDENCE.
IT IS A PERFECT DAY TO DEPEND ON HIM!
It is one of those
days when it is ok to cry and say, JESUS, JESUS, JESUS PLEASE HELP. I
UNDERSTAND MY TOTAL DEPENDENCE IS ON YOU.
He never promised
life or Christmas would be pain free, joyful, and without trials. He did
promise He would walk with, comfort and strengthen us in the midst of our
sorrows.
And
in Him you have been made complete
Colossians 2:10
I long for HIS presence in dark times of adversity. My Hope is in heaven
and His promises. This is our temporary home.
“Blessed
are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
“Blessed
are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
“Blessed
are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.
“Blessed
are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be
satisfied. “Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall receive mercy.
“Blessed
are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Matthew 5:3-8
I know that JOY and PEACE can be found in the midst of our grief and
sorrow. I find it when I have total DEPENDENCE on HIM.
Thou
wilt keep him in perfect peace,
Whose
mind is stayed on thee;
because
he trusteth thee.
Isaiah 26:3
When
doubts filled my mind,
your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer.
Psalm 94:19
There is no sin in feeling empty, discouraged, and
inhospitable, lonely and blue during the Christmas season. We live in a hurting fallen world. But I take GREAT JOY knowing I can DEPEND on
my Savior to comfort my pain and grief and teach me through my human sinful
behavior.
Without my DEPENDENCE on him there would be no HOPE.
Let
everything that has breath praise the Lord.
Praise
the Lord!
Psalms 150:6

No comments:
Post a Comment